So last night was another night where I couldn't sleep. For that matter, a particularly sleepless night. I went to bed with a heavy heart - thinking about so many matters affecting me, my daughter yet to be born, my family, others that I love. I found myself trying to sort through all sorts of situations and judge what the best thing to do, all, mind you, with a brain groggy with tiredness and compounded with the fatigue of pregnancy. And then I was reminded of something from A.W. Tozer's "The Pursuit of God":
"We are often hindered from giving up our treasures to the Lord out of fear for their safety. This is especailly true when those treasures are loved relatives and friends. But we need have no such fears. Our Lord came not to destroy but to save. Everything is safe which we commit to Him, and nothing is really safe which is not so committed."
I am thinking of something from the first Harry Potter book, which will probably ruin this post for some of you out there, but it works for me so I'm going to use it. Hagrid tells Harry that there's no safer place to keep something than Gringotts Bank, except perhaps Hogwarts. I find that I so often settle for Gringotts constantly, forgetting that Hogwarts is even an option when it comes to protecting what I love.
I have an ongoing battle with anxiety. Lately this has been really evident as I worry about the impending delivery of my baby, about my parents moving even further away than they have been living from me, about jobs and other situations for family and friends who are struggling, about a friend who is dying and the beautiful family she will leave behind her. And I forget that I have the awesome privilege, that God Himself has invited us to cast all of our cares upon Him.
Last night I lay awake thinking about how my dad's heart could not possibly stand up to the beating it takes to work an incessant 70 hour week at his age with his condition. And I remembered that passage from Tozer - about everything that we commit to God is really safe, and anything we don't isn't. And I committed my dad to God, asking Him to strengthen His heart and to provide him with peace and comfort and everything he needs to make it through this time, including the knowledge that for whatever reason, this is where God has him for now and he can rely on God to get him through. And this morning, after getting a few winks, I made sure my dad knew that I had done that - I valued him enough to put him somewhere I knew he was completely safe.
And one by one, I plan to cast my cares on God, because He cares for me. I encourage you to do the same - there ain't no place safer, not even Hogwarts. :)
4 comments:
Luv this post...what a place of PEACE:) I still remember a time (kids were very young) when one evening standing by my bed with too many thoughts racing through my head...my mind could not find rest...I was overcome and just set on the side of my bed...and tried to pray...when the Lord sent me His Word that brought releif and rest to my mind and heart: "Come unto me, all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls, for My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mt. 11: 28-30
Love U and praying for U:)
May your prayers for me return to you many-fold. I am truly amazed at the strength God has given me through this time of intensity at work. I am much relying on Isaiah 40:31 and my youth is being renewed like the eagles. I couldn't have made it without the prayers of those who love me, and the help of my precious helpmate! BTW -- just had my bloodwork done and other than getting back to exercise, it all looks great.
May your prayers for me return to you many-fold. I am truly amazed at the strength God has given me through this time of intensity at work. I am much relying on Isaiah 40:31 and my youth is being renewed like the eagles. I couldn't have made it without the prayers of those who love me, and the help of my precious helpmate! BTW -- just had my bloodwork done and other than getting back to exercise, it all looks great.
Love this post! Your way with words is so perfect! I find myself tearing...for all the same reasons. May I too be encouraged to cast all my cares upon him...easy to say...not so easy to do.
Post a Comment