Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Practical Tip

Okay, so anyone who regularly reads my blog is probably wondering when I'll be done studying and come back and post, right?
Well, the answer is, Not yet.
I hope to take my test November 15. I may blog sporadically between early next week and the 15th, but this week I am definitely still in hard-core study mode.
However - I'm taking a brief little break to share a helpful tidbit to anyone who might find it as useful as I did.
Get out a pen and piece of paper or have your phone handy.
Okay, are you ready?
Write this down: 1-888-5-OPTOUT.
This is the number you call to register in the system which will put you on a block list for all pre-screened credit card offers.
Most of us hate junk mail, but why should we bother to call (other than saving the time it takes to throw the offers in the trash)? Well, these offers can be stolen and with them, your identity if you don't dispose of them properly (i.e., shred or burn them before disposing). Someone could take that offer of a $5,000 pre-approved loan and fill it out under your name and qualifying information and go on a shopping spree. So go ahead and take a moment to opt out.
Another hint: this is also a great way to help that member in your household who has trouble holding onto his/her money not fall prey to easy credit card offers. I mean, if you're not having anyone send the offers to your home, then they'll have to work a little harder to get another credit card, right?
Anyway, hope you find that tidbit helpful. I'll post again when I get a little further along in my studies...

1 comment:

kathylovemeyer said...

Hey, Meri:) Great advice! Glad to hear from you. Keep up the studying. We are praying for you.
hugs & love, auntkathylove