Sunday, January 18, 2009

Be Careful Little Eyes...

I heard this song on the Christian radio the other day - "Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns. The lyrics were so powerful, the song so powerful, that I sat and listened to the whole thing. When it was over I turned off the car and just thought about these words:

Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

Oh be careful little eyes what you see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little eyes what you see

So often lately I've been reminded of what an amazing responsibility Geoff and I are being given to parent this child growing inside me. The second line of this song was just overpowering "Be careful little feet where you go, for it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow." I keep thinking of the book "Hinds Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard and praying that God will continue to guide my steps, since it is indeed the little feet behind me that are sure to follow.

As silly as this sounds, Mary had a little lamb also makes me think of this amazing responsibility. My little lamb will go where I go, will do what I do, will say what I say. I hope that I am practicing now the type of habits and behaviors that I want my child to mimic in the oh so near future.

Anyway, I would encourage you to check out the Casting Crowns song above if you're not already familiar with it. Even if you don't have children, the song has a powerful message about how easily we slip and fall off of this narrow road that leads us to God's kingdom.

1 comment:

kathylovemeyer said...

POWERFUL...POWERFUL...luv it and I will check it out. Thanks for this post:)